3 Day Assisted Camping Package, gear & water drops: Apollo Bay to Johanna
- Duration: 3 Days (approx.)
- Product code: Camp1
Spend two nights in some great camping spots. We'll transfer your camping gear, food, bags & provide drinking water (no drinking water available on the track). You finish at Johanna Beach on day three. We return you back to Apollo Bay.
We'll transfer the following:
- Camping gear (you bring your own or you can hire from us at an additional cost if required. See prices at foot of the page*)
- Your rucksacks / luggage as close to the campsites as possible. Please read the itinerary below for instruction details on each day's walk.
- Food. You purchase your food before you arrive, or in Apollo Bay on your arrival. Apollo Bay has 2 supermarkets and a fruit & vegetable store. On the first day of your walk, you leave your food (for the duration of your whole walk) in our trailer.
- Drinking water. There is no drinking water available on the track, so we leave large containers of drinking water in the trailer for you to access. You bring smaller 1-2 litre bottles to re-fill as required.
Starts on selected Mondays (and Wednesdays in high season). This camping itinerary may not be available every week so please check our advertised dates before you book your sites.
Before Booking You Must:
1) 1) Check that there is availability for this package first by checking dates on our booking button..
2) Book Your Campsites with Parks Victoria (click here for more info). The price of the campsites are not included (they are approx $30 per night for a 1, 2 or 3 man tent on one site). If there is no availability for the Great Ocean Walk 'hike in' site, book a spot at the group area site.
3) Book with us.Whilst booking select an official map, lighthouse tickets, EPIRB (emergency positioning device), poles or camping gear to your shopping basket if required.
If you wish to start walking on a Sunday you book the following sites with Parks Victoria as follows:
Day 1: Monday - Blanket Bay
Day 2: Tuesday - Aire River
Day 3: Wednesday - Transfer to Apollo Bay from Johanna Beach
If you wish to start walking on a Wednesday you book the following sites with Parks Victoria as follows:
Day 1: Wednesday - Blanket Bay
Day 2: Thursday - Aire River
Day 3: Friday - Transfer to Apollo Bay from Johanna Beach
Your Camping Detailed Itinerary:
Day 1 - (22km) Apollo Bay to Blanket Bay.
Please note there is no walk briefing for this walk so you need to bring our walk notes with you, which we will email you on booking. In the morning at approx 8.30am you leave your gear in the trailer in the car park in Pascoe Street, next to the Bendigo Bank and opposite the Eco YHA. On your arrival in Apollo Bay you text us / call on 0405 495 909. We provide you key code for the trailer and leave any extras in the trailer you may have booked with us (i.e. map/ eprib / poles or camping gear).You walk to Blanket Bay from Apollo Bay. We leave the trailer at Blanket Bay car park at approx 3.30pm.
Camp: You book the 'hike in' campsite at Blanket Bay (or book the group area campsite at Blanket Bay if the 'hike in' site is full).
Day 2 - (21km) Walk Blanket Bay to Aire River. You lock your large rucksacks for collection (by 9 am) in the trailer at Blanket Bay. You walk to Aire River. You collect your rucksacks from the trailer at Aire River in the afternoon.
Camp: You book the 'hike in' campsite at Aire River (or book the group area campsite at Aire River if the 'hike in' site is full).
Day 3 - (14km) Aire River to Johanna Beach.
Leave large rucksacks for collection (by 9 am) in the trailer at Aire River. You walk to Johanna Beach. You collect rucksacks from the trailer at Johanna Beach in the afternoon. 1pm transfer back to Apollo Bay.(ETA 2pm).
Camp: No camping.
- Walk notes are included. These will be provided by a link when your booking is confirmed. Please PRINT them off and bring them with you.
- We strongly suggest you buy an Official Great Ocean Walk Map if you have not already purchased one. You are able to buy a map from us at an additional cost for $15 and you collect on arrival. (This price does not include postage).
- We recommend that you prepare/ train for the walk (it can be difficult if you are not fit).
- Please wear appropriate clothing, comfortable walking shoes or boots and bring a couple of 1, 2 or 3 litre refillable water bottles. Please only bring a lightweight one or two man tent, or maximum a small three man tent.
- Mobile phone connection: Telstra sim cards offer the best reception on the walk. Note that several sections of the walk do not have phone reception, or it is extremely patchy.
General information regarding this itinerary:
- Please note that this is a 'bus' service - (not a private transfer/shuttle). To be fair to other walkers we must depart at the advertised time. (You will need to book your own taxi to come back and collect you if you are not at the meeting spot as advertised.)
- Please also note that if you arrive early at the meeting spot on your last day you must wait for your pick up / transfer as times advertised. If you are fast walkers, pace your last day's walk. Enjoy your campsite in the morning before you set off on your walk to avoid waiting times.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Please ensure that you book for the correct amount of people. We will not have enough seats on the bus, for you to return to Apollo Bay at the end of the walk if you have not booked for the correct number of walkers.
- CHILDREN: Please note all children require their own seats (by law cannot sit on laps) & child 'insert' seats must be provided by the customer where Australian laws apply. We do not provide child seats. Please contact us if you wish to book small children/ infants onto this trip.
Camping hire prices for 2 nights / 3 days:
1 x Walking Poles for 3 days $15
1 x Sleeping bag with 1x liner $30
1 x Roll mat $14
1 x Trangia & 1 x one litre bottle of fuel, basic lightweight plates, cups, bowls/cooking utensils $30
(Please note that if you need extra fuel this is charged at an additional cost).
1 x One or two man tent $40
1 x Large rucksack $20
1 x Small rucksack $15
1 x EPIRB (emergency positioning device) $60
Emergency Position-Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB) - to deploy in emergencies only so that emergency services can track your position.Please note that this epirb is worth approx $300. If you fail to return this epirb at the end of your walk you will be charged $300 to your visa card.
All items are returned to us at the conclusion of your walk.
If you wish to hire any of these items please add them to your shopping basket when booking.